Friday, December 9, 2011

Chapter ~ One


Chapter ~ One

         New beginnings

Zaydie:

Ring, ring, ring, ring

I groaned and slapped my hand on the alarm clock. The ringing didn't stop.
I didn't set the alarm clock. I said in my head. I forced my groggy eyes open and saw that my thing cell phone was the dumb thing that was ringing.
I looked at the clock next to it.
4:00am.

I groaned and dug my head under my pillow.
That didn't help.
[Ha!]
hush Quorra!
I finally gave in and picked it up.
"What?" I said harshly.
"Zaydie?"
"... Savrin?"
"Yeah."
I sighed.
"what the heck are you doing, calling me on my honeymoon, and at 4:00 in the morning?!"
He was silent on the other end.
"It's 4:00 in the morning there?"
"yeah!"
"Oh... well you can go back to sleep now-"
"Don't bother you've already woken me up. What do you want?" I inturrupted.
[I have such a lovely sister]
"We have a lead on Reese."
It took me a minute to figure out what he had said.
"Sorry to cut your honeymoon short, but just get here sometime around 10:00."
"Fine. You owe me big time Sav. And I mean it!" I then snapped the phone shut and curled back up in to a ball. Trying to ward off the cold.
"Who was that?" Kylun asked, from right beside me.
"Savrin." I muttered as I tried to go back to sleep. Not like it worked well with my husband breathing down my neck.
[Ok it's just really weird to hear you call him that!]
Well it's true!

"What did he want?"
"Do you really want to know?" I asked. He was quiet for a moment.
"I don't know, do I?"
I shook my head and grinned.
"No. You don't. At least not until morning."
He sighed.
"Well let's go under the impression that I do."
I laughed.
"They have a lead on Reese."
He groaned and moved around.
"Your right. I didn't want to hear that."
I laughed.
"Told you so."
"Yeah shut up." He said playfully. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close.
"Well I'm not doing anything about it now. I'm going to sleep for the rest of the night-"
"Morning." I corrected as I buried my poor frozen nose under the covers.
"What ever."
Then he started to snore again. I chuckled and fell into sleep again.

****

The next morning I was the first one up. And at the crack of dawn. I slid out from under Kylun's arm and put my feet into my fuzzy slippers as I wrapped a blanket around me.
I shuffled into the kitchen and started to see what we could have for breakfast, when the nausea hit me.
I gripped the counter and closed my eyes.
"Not again." I muttered.
I fumbled for the fridge door and pulled out the orange juice and a glass from the counter. I drank it slowly and the nausea went away a little. But I could still tell it was there.
I sighed as I set the empty cup in the sink.
I looked out the floor-to-ceiling pained windows in the front of the small cabin we had rented, and looked out as the snow fell down gently. Covering up what ever tracks that had been made in the snow before it.
Giving it a new coat. A new chance to be pure again.

Kylun wrapped his arms around my stomach and rested his chin on my shoulder.
"Pretty isn't it?" He asked.
I smiled.
"Yup. My favorite time of the year. To bad it only comes once, then it's gone till next year." I muttered.
"Yeah but that's what makes it so special. Because if it stuck around all year long then you'd get sick of it." Kylun pointed out.
"... true." I smiled and gave him a kiss then turned back to the kitchen. "What should we have for breakfast?"
"Hmm... Let's start with hot chocolate. Because I'm freezing!"
I laughed and pulled down some mugs and set the kettle on the stove.
"I'll go stoke the fire." He shuffled off to work on the fire in the living room and I took out plates.
Gripping the side of the counter as the nausea washed over me yet again.

I fixed up French toast and put the powdered sugar on the counter along with the syrup.
"Ok breakfast is ready." I called. Kylun got up from the carpeted floor in the living room and walked over. I could already tell that he was eager to eat.
"What is it?" He asked after looking at it for a minute. I laughed.
"French toast."
He looked at me with a raised eyebrow.
"Trust me, you'll like it." I said dusting the top of the toast with powdered sugar and poring syrup on it. "Here. Make sure you use the knife and fork." I said with a grin.
"I do know how use silverware!" He called over his shoulder as he made his way to the table.
"Well one never knows." I said following him with my own plate.
We sat down and linked hands, while Kylun said the blessing.
Then he tried his first French toast! Oh boy do I feel special!
[was that sarcasm?]
No! I really do feel special!
[haha! okay then sis]
Oh shut up Quorra. Haha.

****

After we had our showers, I got dressed in my new favorite outfit.
It was a gold pleated skirt with black tights.
[You wear tights?]
yeah... you saw me wearing them! Like all the time!
[oohh yeah... right]
I wore a black turtle neck shirt with it and I put a coat over top of it. So it kind of resembled a school uniform. Except I wore fuzzy brown boots that had the fuzzy balls hanging off the laces.
"Ready to go?" Kylun asked.
His blond hair was spiked again, and he wore jeans with a long sleeve shirt and a jacket. I nodded as I slipped into my winter coat.
"Yup."
He held out his hand and I grasped it hard.
Then with a whoosh, we were in the main street of Konsor again.
I took a deep breath as a smile crept across my face.
"Good to be home huh?"
I nodded.
We trudged through the snow, using each other for support. We passed little shops that were decorated for Christmas. Decorative lights twinkled and flashed. I could see trees in almost every window.
The snow fell on my eyelashes, and in my hair. I chuckled as I watched the little kids running and screaming. We passed the park and I saw people ice skating on a frozen river.
"Ooh! I want to do that!" I exclaimed, jutting a finger in front of Kylun and nearly poking his eye out.
He leaned back and looked down to the park.
"What ice skate?"
I nodded enthusiastically. "yeah! I haven't been in forever it would be so much fun!!"
He nodded.
"Ok we'll do it before we leave." He promised. I grinned and hugged his arm.
"We don't have to if you don't want to." I said kindly.
"Nah. It's fine. I don't mind it. We just have to find skates." He's too sweet.
[ok Zaydie, don't start.]
Ugh fine! chicken!
[I am not a chicken! I'm just thinking that we want to keep this rated PG at the highest!]
Oh fine ok, ok, you win.

We knocked on Brinlynn's door and it opened almost immediately.
And we were greeted by screaming.
"Zaydie!! Your back from your one and a half week honeymoon! I'm so happy to see you again!" Quorra exclaimed, choking me with her usual bear hugs.
"uh... Quorra... choking here." I muttered.
"Oh right!" She let go and I got a full breath.
"Come on, come on! So how was your honeymoon in the mountains of Talking Food?"
I groaned and stepped inside.
"It's Talki'fuid." I corrected.
"Psh. I like my version better." She stated.
"Of course you do. Hi Quorra." Kylun said giving her a hug as he walked through the door.
"Hi!" She exclaimed excitedly.
I walked strait over to Sav, who stood up from the couch and gave me a gentle hug.
"Did you finish sleeping?" He asked as a joke.
I punched his arm.
"yes I did, no thanks to you!"
He laughed.
Brin and Brax gave us hugs and we got situatied as to who was sleeping where. Sense there wasn't enough beds, all the girls got the bedroom while the boys camped out on the floor.

"You know it's weird, I'm like the only single girl now!" Quorra randomly piped up during dinner.
We all laughed. Well that was a true statement.
"Is that a bad thing?" Brin asked.
"Well no. And yes. I mean come on my own sister is married now!!" She shouted. "And now that's just.... weird. I guess I just feel left behind that's all." She added quietly. Looking down at her food and messing with it. With this sad and dejected look on her face.
I leaned over and gave her a hug.
"I won't leave you behind. I promise." I said.
"Hmm." She sighed. "I'm going to bed. Night." She stated, getting up from the table with her head hanging.
I watched her with a sad look as she closed the door behind her.
"Is she alright?" I asked. My eyes still lingering on the closed door.
"The weddings have hit her hard. I don't think she knows how to cope with it all yet." Brin said gently.
I sighed and started to pick at my food.
"Hmmm... I just can't seem to make everyone happy can I?" I mumbled.
"You don't have to. That's for the Creator to do." Braxlin said as he got up and started to clear the table.
I sighed and pushed my bowl away.
"Go get some sleep. We'll talk about everything tomorrow." Brax ordered. I smiled tiredly and got up from the table.
"Night everyone." I called after I gave Kylun a quick kiss.
"Good night." Everyone called after me.

****

The next morning I found Quorra still asleep on the floor. I quickly changed back into my outfit I wore yesterday and stepped out of the room.
I found a note on the counter of the kitchen.

Gone shopping, we'll get back soon!
Brinlynn + Braxlin

I sighed and got down the hot chocolate. I froze when I heard someone stirring in the living room.
I turned to see Sav's head peak out of the covers on the floor.
He rubbed his eyes and looked at me incoherently
"Zaydie?"
I smiled and set the cup down.
"Did I wake you?" I whispered. Kylun was still sleeping.
"No. I was already awake." He muttered. Coming up off the floor, and wrapping his blanket around him.
"Want some hot chocolate?" I asked. He nodded and I grabbed another cup.
I walked over to the island with it in hand when a massive wave of nausea hit me. Hard! I fell to the floor and the glass rolled out of my hand as I squeezed my eyes shut.
"Zaydie!"
Sav dashed around the island and picked me up.
"I'm ok." I muttered, trying to get rid of the headache.
"No your not! you just fell flat on your face on a flat surface!"
I sighed.
"It's been happening for most of the week now." I muttered.
"What?" He asked.
"I've been getting dizzy spells, and massive headaches each morning."
Savrin froze.
"How long has this been going on?"
"Um... half a week."
"Stay right here!"
he then disappeared!
"What... was that about?" I muttered. I rose to my feet and poured my own hot chocolate and kept the kettle on the stove so the water would keep warm.

Ten or twenty minutes latter, Sav came back holding a plastic bag.
I was sitting at the table by the window and was watching the snow fall.
"Take it." He ordered, handing me a box.
I glanced down at it and looked up at him in shock.
"You can't be serious!"
He gave me a serious look.
"I've only been married a week Sav! It can't happen that fast." I argued in hushed tones.
[Kylun was still asleep]
I saw his still serious face.
"Can it?"
"Hey guys- what's that?!" Quorra asked, pointing to the box I held in my hand.
"Shh! He's still asleep." I said.
She walked over and took up the box.
"Are you-"
"What are you guys doing?"
Ok so he wasn't asleep anymore.
"Quorra what are you doing with that?!" He exclaimed. Pointing to the box.
"It's not mine! Kylun come on do you really think I'd go around and do something like-"
"Oh give me that!" I snatched the box back and got up.
"What are you doing with it?!" Kylun asked.
"I will tell you once I get back. Fuss at him." I said pointing to Sav.
"Hey I don't want to take any chances!" He said in his defense.
"What are you doing going around and buying -"
I didn't hear the rest of the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment