Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chapter ~ Fourteen


Chapter ~ Fourteen

             A Treasure to Keep

Quorra:

So we're backtracking here. Back to where Zaydie and the other two leave us to fight Willa and the two buffoons. Just thought I'd let you know so there's no confusion going on. Apparently that's bad.
[yeah it's bad if you want the reader to actually sympathize your story, or care about you. You know that kind of stuff.]
yeah I know, I know. Just means more typing for me.
[yes and I'm sure you can't stand that]
Oh shut up little Miss 'Smarty pants'.

So backtracking....

I took out my guns again, Kigo pulled his spiked disks out of the flames, Lexi produced stars, same as Willa. And Havrin pulled out his reaper.
"so, where do we start?" he asked with a cocky grin. Oh boy
"let's start with the fact that you killed my mother." Willa said, sweeping her hair off her shoulders, and settling us with a steady stair.
"No. Lets start with the fact that you've made my life nothing but miserable." I contradicted.
"Good enough for me." Kigo stated. Then we all dove in.
Lexi and I took care of the two buffoons easily. And so that way the boys could "soften up"  Willa.

We ran over to the boys who seemed to have their hands full.
Lexi and I quickly jumped in and did what we could.
Lexi was good with punches, as well as her stars, I was good with earth along with guns. Which are mostly long range.
But I did what I could.
Willa was good. We thought her mom was good, apparently she's a chip off the old block.
She was quick, fast and flexible.

We didn't stand much of a chance, she kept jumping around too much!! It was the same way with her mom. She doesn't stay long enough in one spot for us to do any serious damage.
"Quorra!" Kigo called. I did a horizonal spin to miss flying stars that missed me by a hair's length. They  cut off some of my hair too!!
"Oh thanks for the hair cut!!" I cried out in anger as several off my blond curls dropped to the glass.
"Quorra!!' Kigo yelled again. Fending off some stars with his blade, then he swooped in and sent fire at her along with blade!
She was quickly overwhelmed and jumped off the roof.
She was weak when it came to direct combat. She was the hamster!! She couldn't stay in one place for more then a few seconds!!!
We all dove off the roof after her.

On the ground, the battle was worse then I thought. People were falling down everywhere. All of them never got back up again.
I saw friends fall too. It was the saddest thing I had ever seen.
Tears slid down my cheek when I saw Juwela's mother fall to the ground as she died protecting Jinx. Who died immediately after she did. The tears coursed down my cheeks as friends parted from this world to Paradise.
"This can't go on like this." I said to the ground. My hands balled up in fists  and I punched the ground.
"It won't!!" I cried. I rose to my feet in a hurry and I ran after Willa, who was running.
I ran faster, and faster. I used the ground under me to propel me across the ground.
I rammed myself into Willa who screamed.
We rustled around in the dirt for a while. I bloodied up her nose, and messed up her pretty face, while she scratched at mine and pulled at my hair. I finally got enough and had the ground come up and pin her down.
"I control the earth Willa." I said. Standing up over her, wiping blood from my lips. "You can't do anything that doesn't involve the earth."
She pulled and tugged against her bonds.
"It's no use! The earth is almost, limitless. And then through it so am I. In away. Give yourself up Willa." I said. "We'll give you a fair trial-"
She let out a nerves laugh.
"do you really think their going to set me on trial? No! With the simulation chamber I can go back, and kill you before you even meet my mother!"
I pulled out the tablet from my pocket.
"You mean this? Once you set eyes on it, it'll be nothing but ashes."
Her eyes grew wide.
"No don't!" Rix cried.
"Sorry Rix. But it's better for everyone." I said, looking back at him. "Think of it as a blessing. You can have more adventures this way." I compromised with a smile.
"What are you doing?"
I turned back to Willa.
"I'm saving people." I pressed the button. There was a loud boom from inside the mansion. Rix hung his head and sighed, Willa got furious.
"How could you?!" She cried.
"Easily."
"You could have gone back! you could have saved your mother!! You could have kept her from dying!!"
Her words hit me like a sledge hammer.
I stumbled backwards, and my grip on the earth broke, setting her loose.
I was in a daze and wasn't able to function right.
I could have saved mom? And now I had just destroyed the one thing that....

"Quorra!!!"
I snapped out of my daze just in time to hear my sister yell at me, and just in time to see a flash of silver headed toward my heart.
There was a flash and suddenly Havrin was in front of me.
I watched hopelessly as he fell in slow motion at my feet.
He landed with a soft thud and I saw three stars perching his chest right where his heart was.
"Havrin!!" I cried.
That got people mobile. They all simultaneously jumped for Willa.
"No!!" I cried. I ran over to them. They all backed off. "I'll do it."
Zaydie nodded.
I put my hand on the ground.
"What are you doing?" Willa cried.
"Returning you to the Creator." I answered. The earth came up around her like seaweed. Wrapping around her tightly.
Fear spread across her face as she tried to break free.
"Don't worry it'll be painless." I said. "Which isn't what you deserve. But, I guess... I'm not the one to decide." She then blacked out and the earth swallowed her up.

I collapsed on the ground. My energy taken away from me.
"The battle is over!!!" Zaydie cried. All of the fighting stopped. Everyone looked around to see what had just happened.
"The Captain is dead! Willa is dead!! Stop fighting!!!" Zaydie said again.
"it's over..." I whispered. "It's actually over."
That was hard to compute. we had been going on like this for what seems like forever!
And now...it's over... just like that.
I jumped to my feet and ran back over to Havrin. Who was lying there bleeding.
"Havrin."
"Yeah. I'm still here..." He groaned.
"don't talk would ya? that'll only make it harder." I said. Sitting down next to him.
"Figured I'm doomed anyway. So who cares now? No one will miss me."
"That's not true!"
He rolled his eyes, and held up a shaky hand.
"Give me... one example." He said. I racked my brain. Well Kylun definitely wouldn't!! Neither would Zaydie seeing as Havrin caused her a lot of pain. Same for Savrin.
"I would." I said quietly.
"Huh?" Well that clearly shocked everybody.
"I would!" I said more definitely. "I know it wasn't a long period of time when you changed all of a sudden. But you definitely became more likable once you did." I said. Havrin's eyebrows rose in shock. "Zaydie once told me about you, and that Kylun said that there wasn't just darkness in you. But light as well. And I guess your proof that there's light in everyone! even if it's just hidden deep in their heart. it's still there." I said with a kind, sincere smile.
Havrin's breathing was slowing down and I think I was crying.
"I knew...I had made...a good choice." He said. His eyes started to close.
"For what?" I asked. He opened his eyes and gave me a smile.
"A friend." Then his eyes closed and he passed away to the Paradise.
Those must have been the most touching words anyone had ever said to me.

"Quorra?" Lexi sat down on her knees next to me and put a gentle hand on my shoulder.
I watched as Havrin's body was washed by light and disappeared into sparkles that rose up into a clear blue sky.
"he's a treasure." she said quietly with a smile. I looked from the sky to her.
"how do you mean?" I asked.
"Look." she pointed up at the sky again. I followed her finger and saw that one of the sparkles of light float down toward the ground again.
As it got closer, I saw it was actually headed for me.
I cupped my hands together and the light hovered above my palms.
"He's not a person you meet everyday. He first seemed cold and mean. But like you said. Every heart has light. It's just hidden deeper in others. And now, he's given you his light. See?" I gazed at the small orb of light floating in my hand.
"He's a special treasure that only you have."
I smiled.
"A treasure, only I have..." A smile crossed my face.
Thank you Creator. Thank you.

****

The aftermath of a battle. It's never pretty. The fallen bodies. The destruction. The sorrow. The sadness. But it's also accompanied by hope of a new day, the relief it brings, and most importantly... new dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment